Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Elephant in the Room

When I have long blog breaks I'm often undecided about whether to chuck it in altogether. I'm not so delusional as to think the online community is enriched by my presence - it most certainly is not, so the next question is really why bother?

Then again, I guess it's like an old habit I'm loathe to break altogether, even though it seems I've cut down to one a month. Now that I only knit a tiny bit, I haven't got any finished items to show off.

What I do have is news on the renovation. We've started! Approval finally granted, can you beleive they declined a garage on some boundary technicality but approved a carport that is closer to the boundary than the garage proposal? Who knows what that's about - and I suppose I could have fought it but sometimes the line of least resistance is the best line.

A temp worksite fence has been erected, a council notification sign is out the frront and there's a big mess in the garage. They've cut up the concrete floor where the plumbing for the wet areas in the ensuite and main bathroom are going to go.

In terms of design elements, I have a bucket list of things I would like to feature. Would you like to see some of them?

SOME KIND OF BASALT HONED BATHROOM TILE

You can get them in a few different price ranges, from the pure expensive basalt to the ceramic knock-off. I probably can't afford the top of the range, but I'm on the HUNT for the bargain. The bathroom isn't very big, and I only want to use it on the floor and up one wall, so maybe I can find a compromise...

This is the kind of tile I'm talking about.





MEET THE FLINTSTONES



It's a 70's house, and it's not ever going to be anything else. Even after the renovation it's not going to be a big home, and I don't want to modernise it on the outside so it clashes with the very ordinary suburban streetscape that's already there. I'm hoping we can create more street appeal through prettiness and timeless retro features - like crazy paving. The plan is to use it as a winding entrance pathway, around the imaginary future pool, and as a feature on the plinths on the carport. Maybe even on some of the external walls!

Here's the crazy paving thing I'm in love with.


I love the aged look of this natural stone crazy paved pathway through the unstructured flower beds. 



I love these retaining walls too, although can you imagine the work?







WHITE WINDOWS

I'm not going to put any images in here. You know what white windows look like right?


PALE COLOURBOND ROOF

I cannot wait to hear the rain on my new tin roof!




I've got a big book of sketches, clippings and ideas for each room. I love getting it out and imagining it all finished. In my head it's all furniture, paint and decorating. The reality of endless concrete dust, mud, wheelbarrows and brainsplitting noise is coming as a bit of a shock!

So that's what I've been up to. What about you?

7 comments:

Rose Red said...

I love seeing renovation ideas (and outcomes!). Very exciting for you to finally be able to start.

Anonymous said...

Love the colorbond roof and white windows. The bathroom tiles look lovely, but having lived in a rented natural stone bathroom I would look for reviews of how hard they are to keep clean.

Our bathroom was marble, and the microscopic indentations were the perfect growth for mould - much, much, harder to keep clean than ceramic tiles... I started to hate them.

Ness said...

I love it all! I can't wait to see it all finished! I realize that might be a while, but I'll still be here. :)

Grandma Flea said...

Your ideas look wonderful - clean lines and inviting. I'd just echo travellersyarn note of caution. We have unglazed tiles on the floor and shower recess in our very beautiful bathroom as it's a SEPP 5 development, but they are such a pest to clean - and for over 55s who have moved to an "easy care" home (ha ha) and whose knees are going, it's a huge job to get down and SCRUB SCRUB to get the marks from our feet and body oils out.

Outside we have large warm buttery natural sandstone tiles except that for most of the year they are black with mould and lichen. We seem to have found a formula that has kept them cleaner for longer than usual, but using a gerney tends to "shave" them and its washed off most of the bagging on the garden walls - although that's still better than black mouldy walls!

Research the wearability and ease of cleaning well, then enjoy!

CrochetBlogger said...

It's common for bloggers to have a complicated relationship with their blogs. I think that there are plenty of people who enjoy seeing what you have to share when you do post but of course you should only do it when you feel up to it.

I think that each of us has our own stories made up of things that are both magical and mundane. There is value in sharing those stories because the more each of us shares our real selves, the more connected we all become.

That said, the renovation ideas look great!

lcrenovation said...

Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. Please keep sharing.
https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/
Renovations in Bermondsey







lcrenovation said...

I just visit your website and I found it very informative. Please share more content just like that. I want to read more content so please upload more articles.
https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/loft-conversion-in-wimbledon/
Renovations in Elephant