Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Already 2010 is looking great

for getting stuff done. Including knitting, as it happens.


It's only 26 January, and I have completed two items so far this year! This is the second finished item - the featherweight cardigan, knit from my own knitabulous FiftyFifty (a merino/silk blend fingering weight yarn).



I can't describe to you how much I love it. These pictures are just not giving you the true picture.

It is almost weightless. The front bands curl just a little bit at the bottom, which is a lovely soft feature. It is the perfect length. The sleeves are elbow length and wide, just like I like them. Even the difference in the colour of the skeins is hardly noticeable irl, although it looks pretty obvious in the pictures. And the yarn, I know it's my yarn, but it's freaking gorgeous yarn.

If I were to admit to you that this is the first garment I have ever knit that I consider good enough to wear, it might give you an idea of how much I love this cardigan.




I really hope to get a good shot me wearing it, but I don't have a photographer in the house. I have a few knitting outings planned in the next few weeks, so hopefully someone with a sympathetic eye will oblige. In the meantime, you're just going to have to take my word for it.


I would like to knit another one in wollmeise, maybe even with stripes. To that end, I've been accumulating the wollmeise a little bit lately, I've got quite a collection now. But I'll save that for another day.

So, what did I do when I finished the featherweight cardigan? I started another cardigan, of course!

Here's the kelmscott cardigan up close.


And here's the progresss - a whole left front completed.



I'm onto the back next, because the decreases for the neckline in the left front involved making sure the decreases are paired with the increases - eliminating any unpaired decreases whilst shaping the neckline and the armhole together. The kind of up and down stitch count of the panel made it a bit tricky. So I can't face the right side just yet - I hope I'll remember what my rudimentary shorthand with a highlighter on the pattern means when I do get there!

Also, there'll be yarn in the shop tonight - and if I promised you a custom dye in the last few weeks, I've finished it.

And the kids go back to school this week - we've had the best holiday - my son is almost a man and my daughter isn't far behind (but not almost a man) - it's a very exciting time for them right now.

12 comments:

SallyO said...

Love them both - they're both on my To Do list already.

Good day for me too - Just finished the Bollywood Shawl and it's currently soaking. Pictures later when it's blocked.

Rose Red said...

Heh heh, I'm glad your daughter is not almost a man!!

Excellent work on both knits! I very much like the idea of the featherweight cardi in wollmeise...oh dear!!

Anonymous said...

That cardi looks amazing! I love the colours. And the kelmscott is looks gorgeous so far too - what are you using?

Hope you have an excellent final few days with your children. These are excting times.

Bells said...

Gosh that turned out well. I can see why you're so taken with it! Well done!

Ingrid said...

I am absolutely elated that the holidays are nearly over, and my that's a lovely, lovely cardigan. I hope it gets worn lots.

kgirlknits said...

featherweight looks so beautiful - must get good "on-person" shot to get the full picture of the drape, methinks

Sue said...

Oh my goodness that swing jacket looks beautiful. I really like the new one too, beautiful cables. Your yarn does knit up beautifully, off to take a peek at the updates!

The Scarlet Tree said...

Knits look fantastic. I love th new look blog by the way...I think I am a bit scared of school starting next week!

Geek Knitter said...

That is just SO beautiful!

Got It From My Mama said...

Great post loved both of your cardigans. But purple is my favourite colour

DrK said...

oh goddamn that featherweight is stunning! and having knitted with the 50/50 i can almost feel how light and soft it is. cant wait to fondle in person! and kelmscott. oh my.....

LynS said...

Two wonderful projects - I particularly love the featherweight. You really do have to break with tradition and just wear and wear it.